Saturday, December 22, 2012

The Bygone Era of Christmas Postcards .......


It appears that the earth-shattering events of last week threw me off my game, with regards to Christmas projects. So now I find myself speed-crafting/photo-editing/blogging in the Eleventh hour........

First Post: I thought I'd share some of my collection, that has been one of my theme inspirations this year.

Antique Christmas Postcards........

Two artistic elements which are prevalent throughout my collection are 
bells and holly.

They are everywhere.

And add to these rich renderings, gorgeous embossing. 

Postcards are truly a lost art. Something not done anymore unless you're on vacation, and even then, only photographic types, 
with no gorgeous artwork anywhere....

The final sublime touch to an antique postcard is when it's been mailed, showing hand-writing, with pen and ink no less (!), the stamp, and the postmark from 1910.......Heaven.....



Since I will NEVER alter these, I make color copies shrunk down to fit into some of my petite picture frames. The originals are stuck into the tree, or hung from wherever I feel like it, using mini clothes pins or bent wire.

If I created nothing for Christmas, these beautiful nostalgic postcards would hold their own in the absence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...