Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Chalk Paint in Red, White, and Blue

Well, shades of that, anyway.

My latest painted treasure......



Unfortunately, I failed to take a before picture. Suffice it to say, the wood finish was dull dull dull. There are some woods which I consider sacrilege to paint (birds eye maple and burlwood, to name a few), but this was not anything remotely of that caliber.


This writing slope was in relatively good condition, but needed wood filler in a few rough spots on the back. I didn't like the drawer pull, so I swapped it out with one I had, which I color-matched and sealed in a dark copper to coordinate with the hinges.


I had some leftover Annie Sloan chalkpaint, which was more than enough for this project. Provence blue and Cream for the exterior, and I mixed a homemade ruby red chalkpaint for the interiors.


Then, you know the drill.....distressing, then clear and dark wax. I know Annie advises to wax, then sand, but I don't like how gummed up the sandpaper or sanding sponge gets, so I sand first. I only sand after waxing if I'm not satified with the distressing. I'm sure if I was conquering a large piece of furniture, I would probably need to adhere to Annie's advice, or I'd have a blanket of chalk everywhere in my home......:)


I really love how this turned out. I hope it finds a loving home, since I don't have room for it.......


Join Me on Instagram
@MagiaMiaEtsy



Linking To:
Saturday Nite Special link party via Funky Junk Interiors

3 comments:

  1. Very lovely...love the red inside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh swoon! Wish I had room for a traveling desk.

    Thank you so very much for your friendship and loving support!

    ReplyDelete

What say you?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...