Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Tabletop Steampunk Fairy Garden in a Cricket Box

After crafting the Woodland-inspired gift boxes
from paper-mache,
I believe I'm on a creative roll.

I've had a couple of brass cricket boxes for a while now, that I aged with bleach, because I very much prefer dark brass with patina, versus shiny and bright.
I had intended to sell them empty after I darkened them,
but reindeer moss was sitting nearby,
and started a chain reaction.


Plain ol' brass cricket box is now a tabletop 
Steampunk Fairy Garden.


So many materials that are fun to play with,
look great together,
and just plain make an instant statement.
Chartreuse reindeer moss & Tamarack cones
equals natural elegance!
But I couldn't stop there.


I added a homemade toadstool,
created with pulpy paper, a piece of twig,
and brown German glass glitter.


After that step, I decided the background
looked dark and empty,
so I created a rustic fence using more twig pieces.


Finally, the coppery brass was whispering 
"Steampunk" to me,
so I dug into my chain stash for this
textured chunky perfection.


As for the construction,
I secured styrofoam to the base
to hot glue everything to.
I wanted the lid to be fixed at just
the right angle, so I twisted some semi-stiff wire, 
wrapped it with brown floral tape,
stuck it into the foam,
then hooked it to the lid through a cutout.


I enjoyed making this so much, that I'll craft another one
with the smaller box.


This treasure is now available in my Etsy shop.

Join me on Instagram!


Linking To:







5 comments:

  1. Love all the little pieces you used to put this together. That toadstool is fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Audra! This was fun to do, so I definitely think I need to make more. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. So cute and creative! I prefer the look of aged brass also. Thanks for sharing your little garden in a box at Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria, thank you so so much for the sweet comment you left on my blog post about losing our Tiger. You are very kind. Chloe was certainly a lucky kitty to have had you and I am sorry for your loss as well. I agree, such big personalities and presence in those tiny little bodies. And I love your creations! I've just favorited your Etsy shop - it's beautiful! Thank you again,
    All my best,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

What say you?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...