Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Weathered Wood And Tiffany Blue Chalk Paint

Y’all know how I love my chalk paint, but you never hear me talk about spray paint. Whilespray paint has ts place, there are times it can be very unwelcome.

 
I wish you could’ve seen this before I gave it a chalk paint makeover. It was a shiny red and, along with its charming shape, was the other atribute that caught my attention. I thought the red would be a good base for some chalk paint layers. I was starting a paint-removing project on a different piece and, well, I had the paint-stripper container open, so……
Since it was spur of the moment, I didn’t bother to take a picture of it when it was red. Please think carefully before spray-painting raw wood. It’s fine for ugly plastic and metal, but raw wood has a thirsty, porous grain. There was not 1, not 2, but 3 coats of spray paint on this little treasure. Under the red was lavender, and under that was white. I realized I’d opened a can of worms, and decided to persevere to the bare wood. Although I used a good orange stripper, I finally had to use acetone, steel wool and a wire brush to get into the crevices of the wood grain, primarily on the side pieces (inside and out). I have a feeling that water-based paint would’ve been easier to remove. It's important to mention that I would've never used a wire brush on precious antique wood. 
 Once the paint was finally gone, the wood was ready for some chalk paint. But before that, I had another brainstorm. I recently tried my hand at wood-ebonizing. I’ve seen so many blog posts about the magical process of steel wool, vinegar and tea, to grey raw wood to look weathered. My vinegar solution was a few weeks old already, which made the magic happen even faster and darker. 
 Before Ebonizing:

After Ebonizing:

This is how the caddy looked after the ebonizing process. It is my understanding that if you don’t want it to be this dark, you can dilute your solution with more vinegar before you apply it. I could’ve stopped there, but I just really wanted some color, yet still keep it looking worn and weathered.Chalk 
Paint over Ebonizing:

Although I am quite smitten with red, the divine Tiffany blue was calling to me. I really like the contrast of the warm aqua next to the cool dark grey. I also thought it would be a fun juxtaposition to have the elegance associated with Tiffany blue paired with a rustic grey.

I only painted the outer shell of the tote, leaving the dividers and dowel handle grey to make them more of a focal point. I was able to sand off some of the aqua paint without exposing the un-aged wood color. As usual, I sealed the whole piece with clear wax.

I don’t have any big, future plans to strip any more wood, but I did really enjoy
the ebonizing magic,
so I’m sure I’ll try that again.
Mia Magia does mean “My Magic”,
after all…….
Come Join Me on Instagram!
@MagiaMiaEtsy

20 comments:

  1. This is great!!!! I have an old wood crate that I just might have to do this to.
    Hhhhmmmm.....gotta go google "ebonizing" ....
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you facing any issues with AOL mail login or AOL sign up and AOL password reset or change Can follow the on screen instruction go via www.mail.aol.com page enter login credential i.e. Username and Password correctly.

    How do I log into my AOL email?

    1.Create and manage an AOL Mail account

    2.Go to the main AOL page.

    3.Click Login / Join in the upper right hand corner.

    4.Click Sign up at the bottom of the screen.

    5.Enter and submit the requested information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you looking for canon printer drivers and installation can go through the web canon.com/ijsetup is a website to download Canon printer drivers. or can follow the following steps:
    How To Download and Setup Canon
    You can download Canon products from here or visit www.canon.com/ijsetup or www.canon.com/ijsetup.
    1. Enter The New model number.
    2. Run the downloaded file to start the installation process.
    3. Follow the instruction on your screen.
    4. When pressed, enter your model number.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing with us. Are you looking for AOL mail? it's provide free to access email, news and videos etc. if you are facing any technical issues due to access AOL login and want to forgot password or reset/change password now can visit for basic steps at www.mail.aol.com and follow the on-screen instruction and feel free to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice Information. Thanks for sharing with us.
    If You Need Water Damage Restoration Services Near Me? We are here providing top solutions for water damage restoration. Just dial our toll-free number and get the best solution for water damage restoration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome Informaation. Thanks for sharing with us.
    Are you looking a one-stop solution for Jio Tower Near Me? Jio Digital Tower is India’s telecommunication company. Basically, it offers telecommunications services and products. You must install a jio tower in your area if you want proper network coverage. Call us for jio tower installation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this useful and valuable content with us. I am happy to find this blog post. Keep posting. Want to Uninstall Yahoo Mail Toolbar. Get help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The setup process for every Canon model is almost similar, however the download through https //ij.start.cannon and http //ij.start.cannon installation process may differ. you can also visit canonsetup-canon.com/ijsetup website for same. Https //ij.start.cannon.Depending on your requirement, it offers a type printer including PIXMA, SELPHY, MAXIFY, etc. canon.com/ijsetup

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read your blog all are very meaningful. Thanks for sharing your ideas with us. We provide technical help for the emails services like Common AOL Login Issues.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea! I'm going to try it out on an old wood crate I have. Related: https://bit.ly/3iRmvWe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice blog. In Information extremely specific to the subject. the qwerty keyboard helps the user to test their keyboard keys. Find out more by looking at the profile qwerty keyboard key.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please think carefully before spray-painting raw wood. It's fine for ugly plastic and metal, but raw wood has a thirsty, porous grain.For More data go on that Link.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Most of the time, they ask how to cover or remove chalk paint on wood furniture. ... I started refinished old furniture but was discouraged by chalk paint ...For More

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Alaska no show policy will apply to your entire reservation if you don't cancel your ticket before your flight. This implies that your flight reservation as well as all ensuing and return flights will be cancelled.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Weathered Wood And Tiffany Blue Chalk Paint will be very helpful for me as I am renovating my home and I was looking such unique idea. Thanks for sharing. Now it's time to avail Outbound Call Center Services for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Virginia traffic court handles reckless driving cases, addressing serious traffic offenses. Judges determine penalties which may include fines, license suspension, and even jail time. Legal representation is often crucial to navigate the complexities of the court system and work towards the best possible outcome for individuals facing reckless driving charges. virginia traffic court reckless driving

    ReplyDelete

What say you?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...