Monday, January 23, 2012

50 Years, an Elephant, and a Seashell Valentine

Okay, so I just turned 50. Now what? I could say the sky's the limit, but that's already covered when I fulfill my promise to skydive this year. I've fortunately been blessed with good genes, so at least I don't look 50. :)  I suppose the best gift you can give yourself, at the half-century mark, is a medical check-up. Well, aside from the inevitability of menopause, at least I now know I do not suffer from diabetes or thyroid problems, and I got an A+ on my cholesterol test. So I think I'll just saunter over to the fridge and gift myself another slice of cheesecake, Thank.You.Very.Much! 

Courtesy Oregon Herald
A local Oregon celebrity, of sorts, will also be turning 50 in a few months......Packy the elephant. I know this may seem like a strange factoid to include in this post, but my mother has a soft spot for Packy, since his mom, Belle, was pregnant at the same time as my mother was with me. 

Courtesy Jim Vincent/Oregonian Gallery
For those of you not familiar with Portland history, in 1962, Packy was the first elephant born in the Western Hemisphere in 44 years, so at the time it was a very big deal. LIFE magazine covered his birth with an 11-page spread. Packy is currently the largest Asian elephant in the U.S. More about him here.


Okay, so when I started this post, I had no idea it was going to veer off on a tangent about an elephant. Perhaps the menopausal mind fog is kicking in sooner rather than later.......


On another note, I just finished creating some lovely little Valentine trinkets with white Nassa seashells. I kept them understated to showcase the natural elegance of the shells, rather than the overkill one might find in a coastal souvenir shop. I applied them to skinny little pipe cleaners. The kind of pipe cleaners actually made for pipes, not the long, thick chenille stems you buy at craft stores. They were just the right length for bending into a 2" heart shape. I used Ultimate glue to secure the ends of the pipe cleaner, and also for attaching the shells. I opted for white glue over glue gun to give myself more open time for positioning each shell. 


I attached a great vintage faceted metal button for antique charm, and dotted hints of clear glitter around the shell base without being over-powering. Finally, I added some exquisite, thin white and silver tinsel cord for tying it to a gift or bottle. I didn't permanently attach the cord, so the heart could be re-purposed into a jewelry piece or for mounting in a little frame. 


I don't know yet if I'll be making any more of these, 
but I've listed this sweet trio in my Etsy shop.

Well, I'm off to get that cheesecake now.......

2 comments:

  1. Happy, happy bithday!! Wishing you a wonderful year of creativity, prosperity, happiness and health. xo! -amy

    PS I see you've gotten off to a good start on the creative portion of my wish for you but no surprise there. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on turning the big 50! I will be 55 in April and find that age is really a mind-set...as much as anything. Embrace every year. It certainly beats the alternative! ;)

    Thanks for becoming a following friend.

    Blessings
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

    ReplyDelete

What say you?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...